Most customers who fly at Reagan National will be minimally impacted by Project Journey construction activities. Airlines and flights will continue operating throughout the project, with the usual services and amenities. Changes will be implemented in phases and announced here.
Passengers are invited to become more familiar with the project, its major milestones and key benefits. Be among the first to know about upcoming changes by subscribing to Project Journey advisories and updates.
View travel tips for navigating the airport during construction.
Terminal B/C Interior
- Starbucks on the Ticketing level of Terminal B/C is closed for construction.
- Customers can visit other coffee locations around the airport, pre-security and post-security.
Check Delta Bags on Ticketing Level Only
- Baggage drop for Delta customers is only available on the Ticketing Level (Level 3) in Terminal B, as of August 8, 2019.
- Customers with hand luggage only can continue to print their boarding pass at Delta kiosks in National Hall (Level 2).
- A pair of elevators connecting Ticketing (Level 3), Concourse/Gates (Level 2) and Baggage Claim (Level 1) in Terminal B is closed for construction.
- Two remaining sets of elevators are available. Additionally, escalators are available.
- Construction has closed exit doors at the ends of the Terminal B/C Arrivals level.
- Doors numbered 1 through 3, and 10 through 12, are closed.
- To exit the terminal, passengers should follow signs to Doors 4 through 9, which are adjacent to pick-up locations for taxis, app-based rides and private vehicles.
Pedestrians to Navigate Through Temporary Protected Walkways
- Pedestrians are using a protected corridor between Terminal B/C and the Metro station.
- Access to Ticketing/Check-In through Doors #2 and #5 is blocked.
- Customers can enter and exit the Ticketing lobby using any of the four remaining doors.
Cell Phone Lot Closure
- To alleviate congestion, the Cell Phone Lot is closed during terminal roadway construction.
- Customers are invited to use Terminal Garages A, B or C, where parking is FREE for up to 60 minutes.
- Segments of the Terminal B/C Arrivals (lower level) roadway are closed.
- Lane closures are in place 24/7. Traffic congestion is expected.
- Sections of the Arrivals road will be closed overnight (Midnight to 9 a.m.), as needed.
- Significant portions of the passenger pick-up median for private vehicles and ride-app pickup are blocked due to lane shifts.
- To help alleviate roadway congestion during construction, the airport Cell Phone lot is closed.
- Passengers are advised to use Metrorail or park free up to 60 minutes in Terminal Garages to avoid the work zone.
Shuttles Relocated to Ticketing Level – Terminal B/C
- Roadway and curb capacity is reduced outside the Arrivals/Baggage Claim level of Terminal B/C.
- All shuttle bus operations have moved to the Ticketing (upper) level.
- See the map below to find your ride:
Sidewalk Closed from Terminal B/C to Mount Vernon Trail
- The sidewalk leaving the airport to the north from Terminal B/C is closed during New Concourse construction.
- Pedestrians cannot walk outside north of Door #9 from Terminal C, due to fencing at the New Security Checkpoints construction site.
- An alternate path connecting to the trail and Crystal City begins on the ground level of Terminal Garage C.
When Project Journey is completed in 2021, two new 50,000-square-foot security checkpoint buildings will replace three smaller checkpoints currently serving Terminal B/C – increasing the post-security space to include all of National Hall and its premier shops and restaurants for ticketed travelers. In addition, a new 14-gate concourse will replace Gate 35X – ending the need for travelers to ride buses to board regional jets parked outside. Concourse amenities will include jetbridges, holdrooms, concessions and an American Airlines Admirals Club lounge.