A New Way to Travel Through DCA!
In 2021, Reagan National Airport completed its biggest change in more than 20 years: opening two New Security Checkpoint Buildings. These consolidated security screening areas expand shopping and dining options for ticketed passengers and make connecting to flights easier than ever.
Interior of one of two new security checkpoint buildings that opened to passengers on November 9
The opening of the new checkpoints is the final major milestone of Project Journey, the airport's $1 billion capital improvement program. Another occurred in April 2021 when a New 14-Gate Concourse began serving American Airlines customers who previously flew out of Gate 35X.
What changed, and what didn't
- Terminal 2 (Formerly known as Terminal B/C): Departing passengers flying Alaska, American, Delta, JetBlue and United can follow signs to their gate through one of two new security screening checkpoints. Post-security, passengers traveling on these airlines are able to move freely between B, C, D and E-Gates without the need for re-screening.
- Terminal 1 (Formerly known as Terminal A): Customers flying Air Canada, Frontier and Southwest can move through Terminal 1 and Gates A1-A9 the same as before construction. An indoor walkway connects passengers to and from Metrorail via the public side of the south security screening checkpoint.
- Curbside drop-off and pick-up locations remain unchanged at all terminals. A new Express Drop Off curb for Terminal 2 offers a faster way to B, C, D and E-Gates for customers with a boarding pass and no bags to check.
- Meeting passengers inside:
- Passengers with checked luggage can be met on the baggage claim level. Use monitors to determine the bag claim for their flight.
- Passengers who do not have checked luggage can be met inside the security checkpoint closest to their gate - north checkpoint for American Airlines flights, south checkpoint for Delta, United and JetBlue.
Customers planning trips through DCA can learn more about navigating the new checkpoints here.
Park Free Up to 60 Minutes
An extended grace period of up to 60 minutes in Terminal Garages encourages drivers to drop off, pick up or wait in garage facilities and avoid curbside congestion. Walkways from Terminal Garages provide an easy connection to all terminals.
Find Your Ride
Passengers have several ground transportation options at the airport. Shuttles, Taxis, ride app and private vehicles are located on the Baggage Claim (lower) level. There are no longer any shuttle stops on the Ticketing (upper) level. Metro, parking garages and rental cars can be accessed on the Concourse level.
Ground Transportation Map, Effective November 9, 2021:
When driving to the airport, tune your car radio to 1640 AM for information on airline drop-off and pick-up locations, as well as travel tips.
Turner Construction maintains a project information hotline at 571-260-0440 where callers can leave a message with questions or concerns about the airport's long-term redevelopment program.