Background on Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and Washington Dulles International Airport:
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) are the only two commercial airports in the United States that are owned by the federal government. The Airports Authority, a regional organization established by Congress, operates both airports on behalf of the federal government. Each day, approximately 1,000 commercial aircraft operate at each airport. Commercial, private and military flights make the National Capital Region’s airspace one of the busiest in the country.
The Airports Authority's Role in Regional Flight Operations:
The Airports Authority does not control or regulate airline schedules or aircraft movements.
- All airline schedules are controlled by individual airlines.
- All aircraft movements are solely controlled through the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) National Airspace System, including the design and implementation of flight procedures and corridors.
- A key FAA strategy for limiting aircraft noise exposure is to maximize aircraft movements over water and minimize aircraft movements over densely populated communities. At Reagan National, that means flying over the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers, when air traffic and weather conditions permit. Some communites adjacent to the river corridors will still experience aircraft noise.
Airports Authority's Noise Information Office:
The Airports Authority operates a Noise Information Office to address aircraft noise concerns and to help residents understand the facts, science and regulations associated with aircraft noise. The Noise Information Office responds to questions, complaints, monitors aircraft operations and noise levels in the community, and meets frequently with inividuals, groups, elected officials, airline representatives and the FAA to discuss airport operations.
The Noise Information Office is available to discuss noise concerns during normal business hours:
- Monday - Friday. 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Contact Info:
- Email: Mike.Jeck@mwaa.com
- Phone: 703-417-1204
- Address: Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
1 Aviation Circle
Noise Information Office, MA-15
Washington, DC 20001