Reagan National Airport Traveler Update on Coronavirus
Project Journey Milestones
2017: Design and construction planning for Project Journey began, followed by the demolition of aircraft hangars and the Airports Authority office building.
2018: Underground utility investigation and relocation preceded the installation of underground piles at the site of two New Security Checkpoints adjacent to the Arrivals area of Terminal B/C. On the site of the New Concourse, contractors placed an initial phase of soil and allowed it to settle before re-grading it in preparation for apron paving.
2019: At both job sites, all piles and at-grade foundations were finished. At the New Concourse site, the 225,000-square-foot building was fully framed out in steel. At the New Security Checkpoint sites, steel assembly began. Inside Terminal B/C, protective walkways were built inside existing pedestrian bridges, and installation of a secure divider began on the Ticketing level. On the airfield, regional aircraft parking for Gate 35X was relocated after a new apron was constructed.
2020 Project Update
In 2020, exterior work made significant progress on both New Security Checkpoint structures, while interior fitout of the new 14-Gate Concourse proceeded. Ongoing work includes:
New Security Checkpoint Construction
- Installing roof panels
- Building exterior walls with panes of auto-dimming electrochromic glass
- Installing a secure divider wall consisting of steel-beamed bays, individual glass panels and open air, stainless steel mesh on the Ticketing level in Terminal B/C
- Preparing pedestrian tunnels in Terminal B/C for connection to new structures
- Connecting utilites between existing and new spaces
Security Checkpoint building, Summer 2020
New Concourse Construction (including Apron)
- Completing exterior walls with panes of glass
- Pouring concrete to form apron around new gates
- Continuing interior fit-out of restrooms, stairs, walls and utilities
- Painting steel to match exisiting concourses
- Assembling and attaching 14 new jetbridges
New Concourse interior steel painted in ochre yellow to match existing concourses, Summer 2020.