Reagan National Airport Traveler Update on Coronavirus
Project Journey Milestones
2017: Design and construction planning for Project Journey began, followed by the demolition of aircraft hangars and the Airports Authority office building.
2018: Underground utility investigation and relocation preceded the installation of underground piles at the site of two New Security Checkpoints adjacent to the Arrivals area of Terminal B/C. On the site of the New Concourse, contractors placed an initial phase of soil and allowed it to settle before re-grading it in preparation for apron paving.
2019: All piles and at-grade foundations were finished on both sites. At the New Concourse site, the 225,000-square-foot building was fully framed out in steel. Steel assembly on two New Security Checkpoints began. Inside Terminal B/C, protective walkways were built inside existing pedestrian bridges, and installation of a secure divider began on the Ticketing level. On the airfield, regional aircraft parking for Gate 35X was relocated after a new apron was constructed.
2020: Workers made significant progress on both New Security Checkpoint structures. After steel framing was assembled, they installed roof panels and built exterior walls with panes of auto-dimming electrochromic glass. Inside Terminal B/C, crews continued security divider wall installation, prepared future access points to the new structures and connected utilities between existing and new spaces. At the New Concourse, teams fully enclosed the exterior and continued interior build-out of restrooms, stairs, walls and utilities. Jetbridges were delivered to and assembled on the 14-gate concrete apron that surrounds the building.
2021 Project Milestones
New Concourse Construction (including Apron)
The new concourse opened to passengers in April, but work continues toward completing construction this summer with no impacts on flights.
- Moving walkway installation: In progress
- Build out of concession locations: In progress
- Streetside landscaping and sidewalk replacement: Upcoming
Some passengers move through the Centrum, while others relax before their flights on opening day, April 20, 2021
New Security Checkpoint Construction
- Glass panel installation: In progress
- Roof installation: In progress
- Escalator and stair installation: In progress
- Security divider glass installation: In progress
- Utility connection between new and existing buildings: In progress
- Unmanned exit door installation: In progress
- Removal of temporary walkway to Metro/parking garage: Upcoming
- Heating and cooling system activation: Upcoming
View inside one of the new security checkpoint building queuing ares, March 2021