Reagan National Airport Traveler Update on Coronavirus
Project Journey Milestones
2017: Design and construction planning for Project Journey began, followed by the demolition of aircraft hangars and the Airports Authority office building.
2018: Underground utility investigation and relocation preceded the installation of underground piles at the site of two New Security Checkpoints adjacent to the Arrivals area of Terminal B/C. On the site of the New Concourse, contractors placed an initial phase of soil and allowed it to settle before re-grading it in preparation for apron paving.
2019: At both job sites, all piles and at-grade foundations were finished. At the New Concourse site, the 225,000-square-foot building was fully framed out in steel. At the New Security Checkpoint sites, steel assembly began. Inside Terminal B/C, protective walkways were built inside existing pedestrian bridges, and installation of a secure divider began on the Ticketing level. On the airfield, regional aircraft parking for Gate 35X was relocated after a new apron was constructed.
2020 Project Outlook
In 2020, two 50,000 square foot Security Checkpoint structures will begin to take shape, and workers will concentrate on fitting out the interior of the 14-Gate Concourse. The next phases of construction include:
New Security Checkpoint Construction
- Continuing assembly of structural steel above the roadway between Terminal B/C and the Metrorail station.
- Building out exterior walls with panes of glass.
- Continuing installation of a secure divider wall consisting of steel-beamed bays, individual glass panels and open air, stainless steel mesh on the Ticketing level in Terminal B/C.
- Preparing pedestrian tunnels in Terminal B/C for connection to new structures.
- Reopening of closed vestibules on the Bag Claim and Ticketing/Check-In levels.
Structural steel assembly for Security Checkpoint building, February 2020.
New Concourse Construction (including Apron)
- Continuing buildout of exterior walls with panes of glass.
- Pouring concrete to form next phase of apron construction.
- Beginning interior fit-out of building, including installation of utilities.
New Concourse steel, metal decking and glass installation, January 2020.