Get Ahead With These Travel Tips
- Get there early: To accommodate potential traffic congestion on airport roadways or long lines in the terminal and avoid missing flights, plan in advance to arrive inside the terminal early – at least two hours before domestic flights and three hours before international departures.
- Park one hour for free: We will offer a grace period of FREE parking in their parking garages for up to 60 minutes this holiday season. This option allows travelers to either surprise your loved ones by meeting them inside the terminal when they arrive or see them off without having to navigate busy vehicle traffic on the departures curb – all at no charge.
- Use Metrorail: Escape traffic congestion altogether when traveling through the airport by riding Metro to the airport. Pro tip: pick up or drop off a loved one at the Crystal City or Braddock Road stations to avoid driving to the airport.
- Don’t cut through: While it may be tempting to cut through the airport for non-airport business, drivers will further contribute to roadway delays rather than save travel time for themselves and others.
- There’s an app for that: Mobile apps are great resources for managing travel and staying informed. Download free navigation, airline and travel apps in advance to help you plan your trip and familiarize yourself with the airport. Opt-in push notifications can also alert you to possible traffic congestion, flight delays, gate changes and zone-specific boarding times. The DC Airports app also provides parking information and terminal maps, as well as shopping and dining options near you and on the way to the gate.
- Construction: Project Journey is a multi-year effort to transform the passenger experience through the construction of two new security checkpoints and a new 14-gate concourse, replacing bus operations from Gate 35X. Details of the effects of construction on airport roads is broadcast locally on 1640 AM, and more information about the project is available on the Project Journey website.